Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Año Nuevo

Last night Manolo and I were cooking dinner together and he asked me what I was going to be doing for New Year's eve. (I was really hoping to go to Spain for the Holidays but unfortunately at this time flight prices are $3,000 for a round trip ticket and out of my price range). I tell Manolo that I am not sure but it will most likely involve a nice dress, dinner with friends, drinking too much, a bar at midnight, and then home by 2am. Manolo was quite surprised to hear that this was a typical NYE in America.

Manolo explained to me that in Sevilla at 9pm on Dec 31 a large meal is eaten with your immediate family. You drink champagne and eat. As the clock begins bonging at midnight you stuff one grape into your mouth for each bong. It's supposedly very funny as the clock strikes 12 and your mouth is overflowing with grapes. You kiss everyone in your immediate family to celebrate the New Year. At around 1am you go to a friend's house to drink, sing, and play music. At 4am you go to the discos until 7am or later. At 8am (after breakfast) you stumble back home. While this does seem like a much more exciting NYE to me, I am not sure that I could handle partying all night from 9pm to 8am the next day!